5 June 2012

Tutorial - New Insoles For Old Shoes

Aiite...so I love my ballet flats and use them till they fall apart. Unfortunately, this means there is tremendous likelihood that they will begin to look nasty. Now the outsides aren't usually tough to clean, not that I mind, but the insides....now that gets to me.
So, since one of my pairs of flats were looking gruesome, I decided... new insoles! Woo...
You'll need:
Old insole - to use as a pattern
Thin foam - I used what I had in my stash
Fabric - to cover the foam
and of course, pins, sewing machine, thread, pinking shears and/or scissors.


Here we go:
First I took my old insole and placed and traced (rhyme much?) onto the foam. 2 pieces, for 2 feet!

Next, I laid the foam sole onto my fabric (on the fold) and cut with a random seam allowance (ok, approx 1/2"). So now, I have 2 pieces of fabric, again, one for each foot.


Now, I thought I'd be clever and make this insole washable (good intentions, but unlikely to actually wash it in the future), so instead of cutting 2 pieces straight away for each sole, I decided to break the pattern into a pillowcase-style. So the second piece of fabric will be divided into  2 more pieces, with overlap, so that when I finish, I can flip out the casing, and slide the foam in. Confused much? Great!






Line up everything and stitch all! Right now, I really admire those who can write clear tutorials....



Turn inside  out yeah, through the flap



Slide (actually, squiggle and wriggle) the foam insert in.

Oh my god, we're done!

Put them in your shoes (throw out those old ones, hon!), put on your shoes and dance about!!


Are you gonna restore some shoes now? Tell me about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment